About us 

STAFF DIRECTORY

 

Executive Director: Rachel Lange

 

Administrative Assistant: Allyson Deering 

 

Guides

 

  Becky Mattson                            Fred Theiste                           John Vonasek

Board of Directors 

President: Gordon Wall

Vice President: Larry Doyle

Secretary: Kaylynn Stahlbusch

Treasurer: Chuck McLeod 

 

Members at Large

Matthew Hanaman, Earl Holzman, Mary E. Mihajlov, Fred Roadt, Mary Spies, Curt Van Auken

History of the Museum

path5069_edited.png
founders.png

Our Founding 
1931-1936

In 1931 Dr. Roy E. Mitchell and Dr. E.C. Murphy sought to preserve the legacy of the Chippewa Valley's logging industry. An industry that built the city of Eau Claire, and in the 19th century supplied more lumber than anywhere else in the country.  In 1933, using lumber donated from Dr. Mitchell's land and with the help of men who had worked in the lumber camps, the Kiwanis Club built a replica of a cook's shanty and bunkhouse in Carson Park. In 1934, the camp was opened and in 1936 the camp was given to the city of Eau Claire.